Sunday, February 12, 2012

Magazine Design


This advertisement makes good use of element no. 3, shape. It uses a perfect circle which is an inorganic shape. The movement around the circle is very interesting and unique, and the use of white space keeps the focal point in the middle at "keep the spark" which draws your attention first. It really pulled me in as I was flipping through the magazine. The circle also creates a nice balance, principle no. 3.


I chose this feature story layout because it has good movement throughout the article. The flow of text is creative while still maintaining good readability. The text is interrupted with photos a couple times, making the flow not necessarily "pure", but it isn't too busy to be distracting in my opinion. I also really like the text in the headline, the shadow gives good perspective (principle no. 6) and the colors are attention-grabbing.

Both photos are taken from CMYK magazine, volume 51.

5 comments:

Courtney Cooper said...

Great critique of these images! I would also point out that the first image incorporates radial balance as well as movement, because the reader's eyes move in a circle as they take a closer look at the smaller images surrounding the circle. In the second image, the four colored boxes containing people's faces demonstrates pattern as well as contrast.

Katie Barnhart said...

I like both of these pictures. The ad does do a good job of focusing the you to the middle. The white space is used effectively. It is interesting and appealing to the eye.
The article uses a unique font with bright colors. This does a good job of catching attention.

Kisella Cardenas said...

I love both of these examples and agree with your comments! They're both really clean and fun. I love all the color.

melissagrance said...

I really like both of these examples. They are both eye catching with the use of bright colors and have lots of detail without being too busy. I also love the font on the second example.

Stephanie Lara said...

I love the ad! It's motivational and inspirational. It draws your eyes in and around the main circle. The color choice is nice. It's all simple but interesting at the same time.

Post a Comment