My first example is from The Herald from Monterey, California.
![]() |
| Photo source: Newseum |
However, with the two teasers, the photo and the coupon, the masthead looks a bit crowded. I do like the photo though because you immediately know they are featuring a golfer in the issue. It drew me to the story and I'm not even a fan of golf.
Next is from Orlando Sentinel from Orlando, Florida.
![]() |
| Photo source: Newseum |
This is a very clean layout. All of the text has room to breathe so it doesn't look clutter like the other masthead, but everything is readable. I like that they listed both the website and mobile website underneath the publication's name. I know sometimes when I read the paper, the only gadget I have available is my cell phone. Some publications include boxes next to the story directing people to exclusive online content, so this is a nice touch and shows they have new technologies on their mind.


5 comments:
I really liked the color choice and placement for the Orlando Sentinel as well. As you mentioned, the curving bars beneath the publication name draw your eye, and I also like that the dip in the bars match to allow more room for the smaller text for the website information.
I really like these two examples. The Herald is very classic and I like the font used, but I like the fact that there are other images around it, it brings a more modern feel to it. The Orlando Sentinel is also really nice and I like the use of color.
I really like the Orlando Sentinel, the color scheme draws you in and it flows really nicely. It's very modern, and I like how it has the website AND website mobile information. In this day and age, people are reading the news in apps on their phone, I know I do.
That Orlando Sentinel masthead is very nice. Very clean and vibrant. The serif font works, and yeah the wavy lines beneath give the effect of...well, waves. The website info is right there too. Nice.
for some reason the orlando sentinel doesn't appeal to me. it's from this year but looks dated and not very modern.
Post a Comment