Script:
I picked this York Peppermint Patty logo. It's a script because it looks like it was handwritten and some of the letters are connected like cursive lettering. I can't imagine it would be easy to read an article if it was solely in this font, which is another script feature.
I think this font is a good choice for this candy. Because it's a script font, the designer made it large enough so it's easy to read. Luckily, it's only a four-letter word, otherwise it would looked cramped and hard to read. Though, it should be noted that underneath "York" is "be sensational!" which is written in another font. I think that was a smart choice to use a san serif font so it's easier to read at that size.
Slab serif:
The font is an example of slab serif because the serifs in this font are thick like the rest of the font. I did noticed that the kerning between the letters is close that they are actually touching, which is a big no no in our media design class, but this is a classic candy logo. When people see these these two m's, they immediately think of m&m candies. Smart marketing.
San Serif
At first I wanted to say this is a decorative font, but after close exception, it's more of a san serif. What would make it a decorative font is the addition of the white parts in each letter to make them look like bubbles, but that's not very noticeable at first glance. However, I'm going to use this as an example of a san serif font because there are no serifs. There is a uniform thickness, but at the end of the word, the size gets a little bit larger to fit the design. This makes the logo look like it's about to burst (pun intended).
I think the kerning is a little too tight but then again, I think it goes with the overall theme. They're so crammed together that any second, it'll give and burst.
4 comments:
m&ms is a good example of slab serif. I agree touching letters usually don't work but it works for this logo
I think that the fact that the Starburst logo is san serif is good because it makes it easier to read.
I like the Starburst logo as a san serif example because of how the end of the word looks different than the beginning.
I agree with you on the effect that York has on the wrapper. Makes it stand out. And of course it's a good example of script font.
Post a Comment